Information about Nail Surgery
Nail surgery information: Nail surgery is a procedure to remove a section of the nail or the whole nail. It is performed under local anaesthetic and is completely pain free once the
anaesthetic is administered. A tourniquet is applied to the toe to prevent bleeding and the portion or all of nail is removed which does not require any sharp incisions or stitches. Once removed a chemical called phenol is applied to the nail bed to destroy only the section of nail which is treated. A large dressing will be applied post operatively which needs to be kept clean and dry until removed. You will then apply a post-operative dressing until healed. You will also need to soak the foot in salt and water on a daily basis.
On the day of nail surgery:
• Attend in your normal footwear and bring a pair of flip flops.
• Eat normally throughout the day.
• Drink plenty of water.
• Car insurance is invalid for 24 hours so please make alternative arrangements.
• Please inform the Podiatrist if your medication or medical history has changed.
• You should not require any time off work.
• Rest for the evening after the procedure.
After the procedure:
• Keep the post op dressing clean and dry.
• Remove the dressing and salt water bathe the feet.
• Re dress the wound with a sterile dressing until seeing the Podiatrist again.
• Report any signs of infection to your Podiatrist or GP immediately ( Redness/Heat/Swelling)
• Avoid impact activity until healed.
• Take pain medication (if required )
Although side effects are uncommon, infection is the largest risk. Infection will normally show as an increase in pain, redness or heat. If you suspect you may have an infection then contact the clinic on the number below or your GP immediately. Other known uncommon side effects include reaction to local anesthetic, bleeding, bruising, nail deformity, phenol blistering, regrowth of the nail ( 5%) and delayed healing. College of Podiatry information can be found here.
How to book:
If you are a New Patient, please schedule an Initial Consultation online, click here: BOOK ONLINE. Existing patients can schedule an Advanced MSK + 3D Gait Analysis consultation online: BOOK ONLINE . Please check your podiatrists Bio here: About us Alternatively call: 02071646607 to speak to our friendly booking team Monday-Thursday: 9am-5pm or Friday: 9am-3:30pm.
Insurance and Fees:
We accept most major private medical insurance companies including BUPA, Vitality, WPA, Cigna, AVIVA and Simply Health. A full list of our consultation fees including self-pay can be found here: Insurance and Fees. Our Podiatry team are health care professional council registered, meaning they are required to maintain professional standards and continued professional development. As an organisation we have invested in the latest diagnostic technology in order to help our podiatry team, help you. We have onsite diagnostic ultrasound available at Maidenhead and Earlsfield clinics. Pressure analysis available at Maidenhead and Earlsfield clinics with treadmill examinations.