Musculoskeletal (MSK) Analysis
What is a musculoskeletal analysis consultation?
- An MSK Analysis can be scheduled following an initial consultation. If you are a new patient, please schedule a face to face or virtual initial consultation online. Click here to schedule online.
- Bring shorts, a T-shirt and any shoes or trainers that you need the specialist to review.
- The MSK analysis appointment usually takes between 60-90 minutes to review your feet, ankles, knees and lower legs.
- We may carry out non-weight bearing, weight bearing and functional strength / flexibility assessments of your lower legs.
- We visually review your walking or running pattern. To schedule in-depth 3D walking or running gait analysis, please schedule an Advanced MSK + 3D Gait Analysis. 3D is only available at the Earlsfield clinical location, London.
- Plantar foot pressure analysis is used within this appointment to review activity related force and load impacting the foot and ankle. This technology is utilised to analyse specific areas of peak plantar foot pressure. The report allows the specialist to map and track where your body weight (centre of mass) is situated at specific intervals during each step. Once the Podiatrist has mapped your barefoot walking pattern, we will discuss if orthotics, footwear adaptions, splints or a rehabilitation plan can help your individual need and optimise your foot function. Optimising walking or running patterns (biomechanics) can help to reduce foot, ankle and lower limb pain or prevent sports related overuse injury such as plantar fasciitis, achilles tendinopathy and illiotibial-band syndrome (runners knee).
Who can benefit from an MSK analysis?
The MSK analysis consultation aims to review your lower limb function related to a wide range of walking or running related injuries.
Below are some of the common conditions we manage in clinic:
- Plantar fasciitis
- Heel pain
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Tendon or ligament problems
- Sports injuries of the foot, ankle and lower limb
- Flexible flat feet
- Adult Acquired Flat Feet (PTTD)
- Morton’s neuroma (Neuroma-Bursa complex)
- General foot pain
- Osteoarthritis / inflammatory arthritis (Rheumatoid)
- Paediatric walking or sports related concerns (Example: In-toe gait pattern or severe’s disease)
- Runners knee (ITB pain)
- Drop foot
- Post foot, ankle, knee or hip surgery patients requiring gait examinations
- Functional knee, hip or lower back pain
What happens after the MSK Analysis?
An individual treatment plan will be discussed with you following your analysis. Treatment options may include: orthoses, footwear advice, education, pain management, load management, activity modification, lower limb rehabilitation, steroid injection therapy, OSTENIL injection therapy, shockwave therapy, ankle bracing, Richie bracing or 3D Gait Analysis. Your specialist may also need to refer you to a surgeon, specific consultant or discuss further imaging such as MRI or X-ray.
- If orthotics are required, we have a range of medical devices to suit your need and budget. Basic orthotics, adapted orthotics or custom-made foot orthoses can be prescribed by our specialist team. The specialist will discuss your individual requirements and associated costs. Custom made orthotics are manufactured from a foot mold taken during an MSK Analysis or Advanced MSK + 3D Gait Analysis.
- Lower limb rehabilitation (strength and conditioning) may be indicated following the MSK analysis consultation.
- Diagnostic ultrasound can be used by specific members of the Podiatry team. The use of Podiatric diagnostic ultrasound can be used to help facilitate a clinical diagnosis. If you need a diagnostic examination, your specialist can arrange a private MRI or X-ray.*
Would you prefer an Advanced MSK + 3D Gait Analysis instead?
An Advanced MSK + 3D Gait Analysis appointment aims to gather individual data about how you walk or run, using the latest 3D technology to help you move better and stay active. 3D walking or running gait analysis is “like having an MRI of your walking or running pattern”. South West Podiatry utilise the latest technology to objectively test, measure and report on your individual walking or running pattern. To schedule a 3D walking or running gait analysis, please schedule an Advanced MSK + 3D Gait Analysis appointment. 3D is only available at the Earlsfield clinical location, London.
How to book:
If you are a New Patient, please schedule an Initial Consultation online, click here: BOOK ONLINE. Existing patients can also schedule online: BOOK ONLINE . Please check your Podiatrists Bio here: About us Alternatively call: 02071646607 to speak to our friendly booking team Monday-Thursday: 9am-5pm or Friday 9am-3:30pm.
Insurance and Fees:
We accept most major private medical insurance companies including BUPA, Vitality, WPA, Cigna, AVIVA and Simply Health. A full list of our consultation fees including self-pay can be found here: Insurance and Fees. Our Podiatry team are health care professional council registered, meaning they are required to maintain professional standards and continued professional development. As an organisation we have invested in the latest diagnostic technology in order to help our podiatry team, help you. We have onsite diagnostic ultrasound available at Maidenhead and Earlsfield clinics. Pressure analysis available at Maidenhead and Earlsfield clinics with treadmill examinations.