This page is designed to provide information to patients who have been referred to South West Podiatry NHS MSK Podiatry Service via Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust (BHFT). Please note that any patient attending an appointment without an approved referral will incur self-pay fees. Self-pay fees can be found here: Insurance / Fees – South West Podiatry (swpodiatry.co.uk)
Frequently asked questions:
- Why have you been referred you to us?
South West Podiatry is working with the NHS to support you in the management of your foot or ankle pain. You may have been referred by your GP, consultant, physiotherapist or another health care professional.
- What is a virtual first MSK Podiatry service?
We aim to review all patients referred into our service by video or telephone call for an initial consultation. We will review your referral letter, medical history and listen to your concerns. Once we have completed your assessment, we will discuss treatment options related to your condition.
- What can I expect from an NHS funded MSK podiatry appointment?
– You will have the opportunity to ask questions with our specialist podiatry team, providing education about your condition.
– We may use specialist online rehabilitation software to help you improve strength, conditioning and manage your foot or ankle pain.
– If required, our orthotic lab can arrange to post orthotics (insoles) to you. We can also provide you with a pair of orthotics in clinic, to help your recovery.
- How many treatments / appliances are covered under NHS funding?
– The NHS fund a limited number of appointments within South West Podiatry. Each accepted referral into our service is called “an episode of care”. You can access up to 3 appointments which include a virtual initial consultation and virtual or face to face follow-up consultations. At the end of your episode of care, you will be discharged back to your GP.
– Limited funding for shockwave therapy. Patients would need to meet a specific criteria to access shockwave therapy under NHS funding.
– Limited funding for steroid injection therapy. Patients would need to meet a specific criteria to access injection therapy under NHS funding.
– Appliance: The NHS have provided South West Podiatry funding for 1 x orthotic or appliance to be supplied to you, if required, within a 12 month period. Additional appliances or orthotic pairs can be purchased by sending an email to email@example.com
- Private podiatry services:
South West Podiatry’s private clinic offers many different services that are not funded by the NHS. We accept patients attending through self-pay or private medical insurance.
- South West Podiatry do not have NHS funding for the following services:
-Following your episode of care and discharge back to your GP, we would require a re-referral should you require further treatment. Alternatively, if you wish to attend as a private patient, our self-pay fees can be found here: www.swpodiatry.co.uk/insurance-fees
-Additional sets of orthotics or appliances would incur self-pay fees. You can purchase additional sets of orthotics or appliances by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
-Ostenil injection therapy. To discuss ostenil injection therapy, email email@example.com
-Steroid injection therapy or Shockwave therapy that falls outside of the strict criteria. Speak to your clinician who can raise an estimate of fees. Self-pay fees can also be found here: www.swpodiatry.co.uk/insurance-fees
-Nail surgery for ingrown toenails. Private medical insurance information and self-pay fees can be found here: www.swpodiatry.co.uk/insurance-fees
-Routine podiatry. Private medical insurance information and self-pay fees can be found here: www.swpodiatry.co.uk/insurance-fees
- What if I need something other than podiatry?
– If we cannot help you with your foot or ankle problem, or if you require any scans or blood tests, we will refer you to the most appropriate health care practitioner via your GP. This may be a physiotherapist, doctor, or a surgeon.
- What happens next if I have a virtual appointment?
– If you have scheduled a video call, we will send you a video link or at (or around) the time of your appointment.
– If you have scheduled a telephone call, we will call you at (or around) the time of your appointment.
– We aim to run on time but please allow 10 minutes after your scheduled appointment time to receive a video link or telephone call.
– Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not hear from your clinician.
- What happens next if I have a face to face appointment?
-Please arrive 10 minutes prior to your allocated appointment time and check in at reception. We may be unable to see you if you arrive more than 10 minutes late.
– When you arrive at The Bridge Clinic, SL6 8DG please check in at reception.
– South West Podiatry are located in the main building called the lodge. This is the first building as you enter the grounds of the Bridge Clinic.
- Can I send photo’s and past consultation letters securely to you?
You can send pictures prior or during to your consultation to: email@example.com
- If I have a face to face appointment, where can I find the address details?
South West Podiatry are located in the lodge building at The Bridge Clinic in Maidenhead. The Bridge Clinic, 156-160 Bridge Road, Maidenhead, SL6 8DG. Further information can be found at www.swpodiatry.co.uk
- Do you have any parking at The Bridge Clinic?
We have free parking available on site. There is usually a lot of traffic around The Bridge Clinic, so please carefully plan your route. We may be unable to see you if you arrive more than 10 minutes late.
- Do you have disabled access?
There are several steps at the front entrance and to reach our clinic. There is also lift and disability access by the side entrance from the car park. If you require lift access, please ask the reception staff. Please ensure that you check in at reception.
- How can I change my appointment?
If you are unable to attend your appointment, please inform us immediately by email, stating your name or NHS number: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you another appointment or a booking link to schedule an appointment online.
South West Podiatry uphold a zero-tolerance policy regarding any form of harassment or discrimination against staff or patients.