Ingrowing toe nails | MaidenheadSouth West Podiatry
Ingrowing toe nails are a common occurrence this time of year and they can presents as a painful or infected toe nail. Big toe nails are commonly impacted with the smaller nails infrequently troubled. The nail can become painful and the skin around the nail can appear red, hot, swollen or painful to the touch.
Treatment for ingrowing.
At our Maidenhead clinic, Ingrowing toe nails can be treated conservatively through appropriate nail cutting by our specialist Podiatrists or via surgical management, when ingrowing toe nails are chronic and recurrent.
Surgical management for Ingrowing toe nails.
Nail surgery is a minor surgical procedure which is completed by our podiatry team in Maidenhead. The surgical procedure is completed under local anaesthesia and we can plan your procedure around work commitments, holidays and social engagements.
- After an assessment for suitability for this procedure, two local anaesthetic injections will be injected into the toe/toe’s.
- After 5 minutes the toe/toe’s will be numb and either a portion of the nail or the whole nail will be removed. This makes the procedure pain free.
- A chemical (phenol) will be applied to destroy the exposed nail bed so the part of the removed nail never grows back again (95% success).
- The toe is then dressed with a large bandage.
- After the procedure you are required to rest and take pain relief (if required).
- This procedure takes around one hour, you can walk normally afterwards but are required to bring flip flops and cannot drive for 24 hours. The wound takes between 6-10 weeks to heal.
Most patients do not need pain relief medication following this procedure, however some patients may experience mild symptoms. If the toe is painful it is advisable to take over the counter pain relief such as Paracetamol and nothing which contains anti-coagulant medication such as Asprin.
This procedure is considered a safe and effective way to treat in growing toe nails. Like any surgical procedure there are minor risks involved which your podiatrist will discuss with you during the assessment and when gaining formal consent prior to booking this procedure.
Specialist Foot & Ankle clinics located in the heart of #Earlsfield, #Wimbledon and #Maidenhead – Schedule online today👇👇👇👇🦶: www.swpodiatry.co.uk
Appointments are available at all clinical sites *On-site diagnostic ultrasound is available at Earlsfield and Maidenhead clinical locations.
How to book:
Click the following link to schedule your consultation online 24/7: BOOK ONLINE. Alternatively, speak to our friendly booking team between 9am-5pm Monday-Saturday: 020 7164 6607
Insurance and Fee’s:
We accept most major private medical insurance companies including BUPA, Vitality, WPA, Cigna, AVIVA and Simply Health. A full list of our consultation fee’s including self-pay can be found here: Insurance and Fee’s. Our Podiatry team are health care professional council registered, meaning they are required to maintain professional standards and continued professional development. As an organisation we have invested in the latest diagnostic technology in order to help our podiatry team, help you. We have onsite diagnostic ultrasound available at Maidenhead and Earlsfield clinics. Infra-red pressure analysis available at Maidenhead and Earlsfield clinics with treadmill examinations.