nail surgery | ingrowing toe nail | maidenheadSouth West Podiatry
An Ingrowing toe nail can be painful. How can podiatry resolve an in growing toe nail in Maidenhead ?
ingrowing toe nail issues within Maidenhead can be conservatively managed, but when symptoms persist our dedicated team of foot specialists can resolve your symptoms with a minor surgical procedure.
Nail surgery is a long term solution to a painful condition. During the nail surgery procedure, a portion of the nail or the whole nail can be permanently removed under local anaesthetic using a chemical called phenol.
Signs and Symptoms of in-growing toe nails:
- Hard skin near the nail.
- Tenderness in the skin around the nail.
- Swelling around the skin and nail.
- The skin may be bleeding.
- A curved painful toe nail.
- The toe is painful.
- Redness in the skin next to the nail.
- The toe may be hot.
- Pus or infection may be present near the toe nail.
Causes of ingrowing toe nails:
- Footwear – ill fitting shoes and footwear which are too tight.
- Inappropriate cutting – leaving spikes in the nail which pierce the skin.
- Injury – Dropping an object on the nail or sports such as running causing pressure on the nail.
- Hereditary nail conditions – Abnormal curves in the nail.
- Posture or foot abnormality.
- Deep/wide footwear giving you more space around the toes.
- Soaking the feet in salt water and using antiseptic cream such as savlon.
- Conservative cutting of the nail completed regularly by podiatrists.
- Nail surgery – Removal of part of the nail or the whole nail.